Saturday, August 13, 2011

"My friend's flesh and blood.."

The song was sleeping in my mind as I woke up with watery eyes at 5 o'clock. It was still black in my room... and there was this watery echo in my half-dreaming mind. Bryan Ferry's voice calling me seductively... as if he were singing my song...

and I thought of his glittery tuxedo jackets as I lay in bed and his seductive blue eyes and black hair. I thought of how he dated tall blonde super-models and I wondered what it must be like to be so very British... whatever that means... world-weary? perhaps... But to be well into your 60s and still dating 20 something supermodels... the man must have something...

I thought of his voice,  and in a dreamy lull and I had to reach for my ipod. The black room was illuminated with an eerie bluish light as I switched the dial to Roxy Music. The light reminds me of a porcelain ghost... but I had to hear that song... and think of the album cover and the comely pair of women depicted therein, pouting and clutching spears. They must be golden haired Spartans and I wonder what outer world they come from. As if they come from the sea, sailing on a long journey in their billowy white gowns exposing toned sun-kissed arms and pushing the bottom lip out in a heroic pout.

Oh, to be so winsome, full-bodied and enigmatic. Why did it grow out of fashion to put heavenly looking women on the covers of albums... could it even be appreciated now?

I can imagine staring at this album cover for hours had I seen it in 1980. But my parents weren't cool enough to listen to Roxy Music. Cool enough for The Cars, yes, but not cool enough for Roxy Music...

 Bryan Ferry's voice inspires thoughts of rainbow colored mist rising from a silver pond as lilies float peacefully along in slow motion. I would say Flesh and Blood is the most eastern, ambient, fantasy oriented album by Roxy Music.

I saw the red numbers on my digital clock tell me I had a good half hour before I had to rise. The urge in the dark that precedes dawn was palpable and more than I could contend with. I had to hear this album. So the blackness would eventually evaporate to the misty grey of dawn. The spindly fingers of dawn creeping into the bedroom window so rudely interrupting the calm and carelessness of night.

I would have to say Roxy Music is the most romantic band in my catalogue. So glamorous, so enchanting... Bryan Ferry singing like a dark prince beckoning a lost nymph into the glass... It's only fitting that he sang the theme song for the film 'Legend'.

I can't exactly wax poetic... but I would like to let the words drip out of my fingers in liquid diamonds, relieving my sore mind...I miss my long-hand but I think I am wounded for writing in pen and ink for now. Should I write about the strange delights of masochism? Or the healing blood of Christ? It's far too late for thinking...


No comments:

Post a Comment