Sunday, May 15, 2011

"Move like this"

Ah, the matchless elation! When I was a tiny child one of my earliest memories was lying on the floor of the front room in my house staring at the album cover for Candy-O by The Cars and wondering if I could ever be as gorgeous as the strawberry-blonde girl laying sensuously vanquished on the hood of a white ghost car. She looked like a fantastic Barbie doll and I wanted to be her. From that moment on The Cars remained the soundtrack of my libido.

Every Friday and Saturday night before hitting the city lights I played Candy-O as I applied my make-up, always finishing just in time for Ric Ocasek to croon Dangerous Type as I applied cherry red lipstick in a flirty pout. I am especially partial to Candy-O because of the image of the fainting sex symbol in her diamond studded black high heels, but I love all of The Cars albums and their provocative covers. I wanted to be the exuberant blonde on 'Shake it up' red lipped open mouthed laugh hair flying wildly in the wind like golden tassles and perfect red nails holding a spray can ready to burst. I loved the first album cover, too. It was a photograph of a luscious brunette with brown eyes, the flat of her hand caressing her forehead as she held the clear steering wheel of a car with risque recklessness with the other elegantly careless hand. She looked like someone I wanted to be, driving an endless joyride, an eternal Barbie doll, young forever. The profound new-wave simplicity of 'Panorama' impressed me as well. No nubile girl in a state of sexual abandon was portrayed, rather a stark black and white checkered flag waved against a midnight blue backround. It was bauhaus. It was futuristic. I wanted to join the race...

Beyond the album covers, Ric Ocasek's syncopated cooing vocals sent shivers through my body. His art-house lyrics excited my imagination. The grinding guitars made my toes curl in ecstasy and the synthesized keyboards caused palpitations. It was the perfect music for going out, the perfect music for flirting, the perfect music for raising an eyebrow. It made me want to be scandalous. It made me want to be glamourous, painted, primed, ready to toss my hair and dance in high heels.

Years passed in my life and The Cars was always a band I came back to. So when I learned they had made a new album I was extensively thrilled. Last night I lay in my bed and played the new album in the dark...fantastic...

No comments:

Post a Comment