Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Tuesday night reflections...

Today began with a pray and a bowl of strawberries. The coffee was nice and the bus ride to the office was satisfactory. I could sleep whilst listening to The Walkmen's masterpiece 'Everyone Who Pretended to Like Me is Gone'. I used to think it was ethereal suicide music right up there with Mazzy Star's 'So Tonight that I Might See' or Slowdive's 'Soulvlaki'. It is very beautiful but a little too choppy. It has a recurring theme, this sad jingle jangle of a mournful glockenspiel that brings to mind images of a dying snowflake process... I suppose I was profoundly touched by the story of the man who had the first successful face transplant in the United States. He said his little girl kissed him and said:"Daddy, you're so handsome." It is enough to bring to tears to your eyes. 
These past two days I have been persistently listening to music from the 90s, namely Lush, The Ocean Blue, Teenage Fan Club and The Charlatans... The Ocean Blue always touches me more deeply than most. They remind me of old friends and foggy nights in the Bay Area. Apparently David Schezel is a lawyer now. That is fantastic. I wonder if he still has the journal I gave him in 2001. It amazes me that ten years ago I shared a cab with him and my dear friend Erin.  
Finals are coming next week and I just found out that tuition is being raised next fall. I will simply grit my teeth and weather out the storm. 
The flowers of the late spring are hovering on the gleaming brink of summer and ready to explode in a full, florid spectacle of colour. Their fragrance sings a hushed melody to my senses as I stroll through the neighborhood on my way home. Flowers have an essence of divinity. Contemplating beauty that is not man made imparts the kind of peace all restless souls seek. I wish I could sit and ruminate among the flowers for hours at a time. Their purity and perfection is like sugar to the palate. The pale lavender petals of a certain blanket of posies beside my house sends me into a certain humor as I reach the door step at dusk. It is soothing like the caress of the last pale gleam of sky before it is set ablaze by sunset. I love the caresses of light and warmth found in the late spring. The air is filled with expectancy for lazy times and nights when one can sleep with the window wide. That has to be the best part of this time of year, sleeping with the window open.

No comments:

Post a Comment