Saturday, July 2, 2011

Beastly Boys

Joe is outside and listening to "Sure Shot" with his buddies in what is now the wee hours of Saturday morning. I enjoy the presence of company so late at night. I think it middle on the night guests make the house feel alive. I can hear the distant whistle of the train and I am not necessarily sorry to have canceled my long trip up north. I just don't know if I can countenance the return voyage... all of those long stretches of green, wide, open California to the tune of an old lover in my ipod is enough to break my heart every holiday. Why go on vacation if you are only going to perversely glut yourself on his music on the way home? Boys can be beasts but they are beautiful beasts. They are mysterious in their simplicity, multi-layered in a two dimensional way, and it is so titillating to be in the clutches of their conundrum. There is something savory and warm in the air tonight. It is like a breath of cinnamon mystery. I hear the light jingle of the insects in the dark sky humming love songs to each other in the thick stillness. I like being up late. I like being deliciously confused and yet at peace with the long, forever stance of not knowing. We never know...we never, ever know...

No comments:

Post a Comment