Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Oh, fie! Fie upon thee, thou cursed working day!

Well.. it's not THAT bad... I certainly doubt any work day is so awful it merits an incantation of Elizabethan era curses and oaths. But it stands to reason, wouldn't everyone rather be at home?... sleeping away the morning moments of sunlight and pressing snooze an infinitesimal number of times... One time after another after another...in seven minute increments of bliss. Were I to have the work day off perhaps I would still like to set my alarm. Each time I rise to hit the snooze I can smile to myself that I am a time thief, stealing minutes away from the day and returning to a delicious sleep under my delicious blanket and softly inviting pillow case.

But it's summer now... I am so grateful for the balmy heat, for the warm breath of July caressing my ear and the way the warm summer air sweeps over my body as I sleep with the window open. That is my favorite part of summer; sleeping with the window open. When I lived in the big city is was the sound of cars that lulled me to sleep. I grew accustomed to an eerie orange glow filling my room from the countless streetlights in San Franciso. Now my ears are tickled by the melody of crickets. I feel a music in the air of insects and crawly things outside my window... the night birds that nest in the trees. Stars and moonlight I couldn't see before because of light and fog.

A light sweat breaks out on my neck and the backs of my knees. A strange dream possesses my half-conscious thoughts in the middle of the night. Half awake and half asleep, the ghost of a machine intoxicates the phantom softness of my skin...

No comments:

Post a Comment