Tuesday, July 26, 2011

The definition of "good"

I suppose I can be free-form with today's entry but I prefer to be crafty. I prefer to say something acute yet amusing, canny but fun... All day at work I fight the urge to be impertinent. I don't quell the urge as much as I once did. Or perhaps I am becoming bitter. This is not something I wish to succumb to. So many people in this work-a-day world give in to bitterness and dissatisfaction. Why? There are so many things to enjoy about life everyday, what is the point in spending the entire day moping about not being at home? So many people are home-bound, no job, no money, no sense of peace.

To me, life is good...

The dreams I dreamed last night were good. The hot water pounding my naked back in the shower was good as the stream arose and swirled around my skin. A scrambled egg, a small bowl of strawberries and cup of coffee nourished me. It was good. The sun and sky: warm and cheerful. Everything is well, pleasant, happy, satisfying...good. It stays this way because I stay humble. When I look at the world with eyes longing for poetry, everything I see takes on a romantic hue. The sweat from the gym at work is good, my heart pounding from cardio, my muscles burning from lifting weight, it's good, it makes me happy...

I think of the suffering of those around me and I just feel so satisfied with the blessings God has given me. I don't have to grapple with a broken heart. It is all so calming and good. I got a call from my best friend back in San Franciso last night and she is still grappling with a break-up that tore her heart to shreds. I feel such empathy for her. I am so lucky to be safe and wrapped up in the warmth of a cheerful season, a hopeful outlook. The misery of lost love can be so harrowing; to labor under the shackles of a discouraged heart.

How good life is. How good it is to be unchained and optimistic; to see the world as limitless and marvellous as a child does. It is with the eyes of a child that we can find true joy in this life...

No comments:

Post a Comment